New Education Room, Sumburgh Head Lighthouse, Shetland
The extensive restoration and adaptive re-use of Sumburgh Head Lighthouse designed by Robert Stevenson in 1819, to create a world class ‘destination' visitor attraction including a museum, education centre, holiday accommodation, offices, café and parking. A significant part of the development is the construction of a new education building on the site, designed by GRAS. The education building contains a multi-purpose room which will be used for a variety of events, workshops, lectures and exhibitions. Located on Shetland's Southern tip, the building faces North, looking back at the dramatic landscape of the Southern Mainland. The North elevation is completely curved with floor to ceiling height curved glazing overlooking the panoramic view.